Thursday, December 18, 2008

simply shopping

The weather on my trip had been wonderful. However, I woke up to some fog and light drizzle on my last day in Japan. That definitely didn't deter me from getting to Toji Temple for the monthly flea market. This is held on the 21st of each month and I happened to be there on that day!
It was easy to find - you just followed all the people walking in one direction. One there, you entered the grounds to find booth after booth. I am sorry that my photos aren't that great, but the off and on rain caused me a little difficulty with an umbrella, a camera and a purse. There was a multitude of food
if you were hungry. We have these in Korea - they are filled with bean paste. I didn't get any photos, but there were alot of booths that sold kimonos and fabric. I don't know if they were used kimonos or just inexpensive ones, but they were mobbed with ladies going through the piles. There was the usual "junk"
and antiques to go through. I saw some interesting things, but decided to forgo. Some booths were very colorful
with their crafts using kimono fabric.
And I wish I knew the reason behind selling pine branches.
This booth was selling Japanese crackers of some sort - I guess they are pretty popular.
There were some shrines
and temples on the grounds, if you could find them in the masses.
By the time I left, it was around 2:00 and of course, the sun came out for awhile. I spent the afternoon shopping and waiting for early evening. I wanted to head to the Gion area of town in hopes to see a geisha walking the street. One of the ladies on my tour had seen one there the night before. But due to the rain starting up again and I was cold, tired and hungry, I said goodbye to Kyoto for now and went back to my hotel.
This was such a wonderful experience for me. Hopefully I will get (or make) another opportunity to see more of Japan.

No comments: