Friday, February 23, 2007

to busan/pusan

Ken and I are heading to Busan this afternoon on the ferry. We are meeting the agent T.Y. and his wife for dinner this evening. Then tomorrow morning Ken and T.Y. will go play golf somewhere in Pusan. I am roaming the city. Hopefully I will be able to navigate the subway much better this time. I guess the worst that could happen is that you go the wrong direction, you get off and go the other way.

I am still a little confused about what to call Busan. I looked it up online and it stated that in 2000 Korea issued a revised romanisation of the Korean language. Apparently this was last done in 1984 but there were some changes they wanted to make in regards to pronunciation of some Korean consonants. That is about all I could understand without indepth studying. So I think it is to be called Busan now. I think. Anyway, it is the 2nd largest city in Korea with 4 million people. I think Houston has 4 million people but is definitely spread out much more than Busan. I copied a map so that you can hopefully see where Okpo is in relation to the rest of Korea. Look at the lower right hand corner and you can see where I wrote the word Okpo on a little island southwest of Pusan. You can see why it is closer to take a ferry across the water. They are in the process of building a bridge from Geoje Island (where we live) but it will not be finished for several more years. If you drive to Busan, you have to go west, go over a small bridge and then go back east. I know the map is little, so it may or may not be clear.



We are going to stay Saturday night as well and return on Sunday sometime. The tenative plan is to maybe go to a movie and out to eat at some western style restaurant. Maybe McDonald's. You might think I am kidding but I am not!!

No comments: