Thursday, March 22, 2007

spring has sprung



It is gradually turning from winter into spring here in Okpo.






Trees are budding and some are blossoming. And they have started planting flowers in the containers around town that did hold ornamental cabbage in the winter time.


I don't know what some of the trees are. I have tried looking up some of them on the internet but so far I haven't had too much luck. There are some that look like cherry blossoms but I don't know if they are.












There are also some trees that have either white or purple blooms on them. The trees have no leaves and the flowers look like a lotus like flower.


I do remember forsythia from my days in France. If you know, let me in on what the others are.

2 comments:

Offshore Wife said...

I believe the trees with blooms minus leaves are called Saucer Magnolias in the states. They are also referred to as Tulip Tress or Japanese Magnolias. The trees with pink blooms are Cherry Blossom trees. The most common around this area are the 5 petal variety. I cannot tell what the first photo is. I have not seen one in person yet or either it didn't catch my eye and I walked past. Are you going to the Azalea Festival tomorrow?

kim said...

Thanks so much - tulip trees are a good name for them! I am going to the cherry blossom festival in Jinhae tomorrow - is there also an azalea festival? I haven't seen any azaleas blooming here yet.