Wednesday, August 22, 2007

feels like one hundred

Current Conditions (as of 1:00 PM)
Today's forecast °F | °C
Mostly Cloudy90°F
Feels like: 100°F
Barometer: 29.7 in
Dewpoint: 75°
Humidity: 63%
Visibility: 6 miles
Wind: 10 mph SW
Sunrise: 5:50 AM
Sunset: 7:06 PM
UV Index: 9 Very High Observed at Pusan / Kimhae International Airport.

It is so very hot. I don't know why I expected otherwise - and it really isn't that different than Houston. I guess I am just used to swimming pools and air conditioned malls during this time of the year. Everyone I know seems to try to just get out in the morning and hole up in their apartments in the afternoon. I tried to ask the lady that cleans our apartment when it would get cooler. From what I understood, she said that from 8/8 to 9/9 is hot and then it would get cooler. I am going to hold her to that - on September 10th, I want to walk out of my apartment and feel cool air on my face.

At least I don't work in the shipyard. Ken took me for a tour (in the air conditioned car) on Sunday afternoon. He wanted to show me all the different parts of the drillship that now actually look like a ship. It really is amazing. All the parts are made and then put together. I don't have a mind that works that way to figure out how things are made. So I am in awe of those who do. Anyway, there is alot of concrete in the shipyard so you know it must get hot. There are also many huge hangars that probably don't have alot of ventilation. Ken said that whenever the temperature reaches 33 degrees Celsius (91 degrees Fahrenheit), the men get an extra 30 minutes for lunch.

We do have air conditioning in our apartment that works very well. The brand name is Daewoo Carrier - I know they have Carrier air conditioners in the U.S. There are actually 2 built in wall units upstairs and a wall unit downstairs that plays a little tune when turned on and off. ( I am sorry - I have tried several times to download a little video of this and have failed for some reason. Maybe I will be able to figure it out at a later date....I will let you know.)

No comments: