Tuesday, April 7, 2009

cherry blossoms and children


I returned to Jinhae for the third time for the Cherry Blossom Festival on March 29th . Ken had never been and was free to go. However, I think that he was only going because there was a McDonald's in Jinhae.......
if he had known that they deliver, he might have opted out! Just kidding.






The cherry blossoms in Okpo were not at their peak, so I was thinking we were a little early. I was right. They really were not at their prime. It was the first weekend of the festival, so the crowds were not so bad though. I felt like I could see a few things easier without the hordes of people. And we had time to explore some areas of the town that I hadn't been to before. There is an area called Romance Road that is essentially a canal that is lined with cherry blossoms on both sides with numerous bridges crossing over.
Even though the blossoms were not at their best - the area really was beautiful.









Ken and I were able to sit down for a few minutes to watch some children





demonstrate their martial arts expertise.






There also was an area where children,
could do some crafty projects
- like make a key chain with a cherry blossom in it.


Children everywhere are beautiful, but I was really struck that day by the sweet innocence I could see in the Korean children.


The festival market area disappointed me somewhat. A few booths that had been there previously where not there that day..........I missed the singing dolls. However, Ken enjoyed it - he even searched high and low for a perfect hat
and matching mask for me.






I didn't get one (thank goodness - don't tell Ken) but he was pulled in by the man demonstrating a vegetable chopper.









These mannequins spooked me a little bit.














I also didn't get any socks.







And Ken didn't get a new tie.


Thank goodness I didn't need a book to translate Korean into English (look carefully).



The tea looked tempting.......if not to drink, but to look at.



I was really tempted by the George W. Bush matryoshka (Russian stacking) doll......

and the sailors.............


and the cowboys.




But in the end, I caught the ferry home with Ken.


I think I made the right choice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was just so fun to read - and pictures so excellent. It sounded like a wonderful day, and the cherry blossoms looked beautiful to me. Romance Road - Lovely ! Socks and the sailors - both cute !!!!

Anonymous said...

I love this post- especially bc of all of the cute pictures. How adorable are the children???!!! Love you and cant wait to see you mama!!