Wednesday, May 2, 2007

my new back door

As part of my "ongoing series" about my apartment/row house, I definitely wanted to show everyone my new back door. There isn't much light in our downstairs in the afternoon due to the fact that we get morning sun in the back and afternoon in the front. We really do not have any substantial windows in the front, especially downstairs. The powder room and storeroom face the front. The kitchen also faces the front but has a room in front of it that has the dryer and hot water heater in it (which most apartments do here). There is a window in the kitchen but it opens out to that area (that has windows also but they are frosted). Anyway, in the back downstairs we have two huge windows with a door in the middle. The door is wood that opens outwards and we have a screen door inside of it that opens inwards. Go figure. Anyway, Ken asks the manager if we could possibly switch out the screen door for a glass storm door. This turned out to be quite the ongoing process of the month.

I had two separate groups of three come over to contemplate all of this. The last time, a young girl named A (I don't want to include names of people that don't know I am writing on the Internet about them) came with the repairmen. Let me say that I have met her before and that she is delightful. She speaks some English and is so cute. Ken and I saw her on the street one day and talked to her. She is a young girl probably not much older than Bailey that said she lives in a dormitory in the town next to us. Ken was so taken with her that he said he would find her a husband! She seemed to like this idea. Anyway, after much discussion, they decided that it was not feasible to put in a storm door. So they asked if it would be okay if they just put glass in the upper part of the door. I just wanted a bit more light at any cost, so I said okay.

A couple of weeks later, they came and took the wooden door off in the morning. Four men returned in the late afternoon with the door. A square section had been cut out of the door but there was no glass. They waited a little while and the glass appeared. I guess it was too large, so they took it away to recut it. By the time it returned, Ken was home. They kind of taped it in place and then came back the next day to put some moulding around it. It was all quite the adventure of my day.

The reason I wanted to tell this story is because we thought it quite humorous. Why didn't they just finish the door in it's entirety in the shop where they cut it? I want to say though that I don't think this is just a "Korean" thing. I am sure that in the U.S. and anywhere else in the world, this would have been done the same way by someone. Maybe there is a reason. Maybe not. I am just glad that I have my new door, whatever the construction. It really makes a difference and I am happy with it.

No comments: