Thursday, September 20, 2007

flowers, fruit, friends and Chuseok

We have another Korean holiday coming up next week. Chuseok (everyone seems to pronounce it chew sock, so I guess that is correct)is held on the 15th day of the 8th lunar month. Apparently in ancient times, they worshipped and held festivals under the full moon. Presently, this holiday is a "thanksgiving" of sorts where they visit ancestral grave sites and observe the rites of clearing the grave site and offering food and drink to their ancestors.

Anyway, it also seems to be another occasion to give gifts. This week, we have received kiwis, oranges, cakes and wine from different Korean businesses such as the agent and the management company that we rent from.


I have a book called CultureShock! It discusses various customs and cultural differences, as well as everyday living in Korea. I have pretty much read it all but I still look up things I can't remember from time to time. I know that the Korean people feel that good business relationships are built upon strong personal relationships. One Korean man explained to Ken and I one time that the friends he made when he was younger are his friends for life. And they spend alot of time, money and effort on these friendships because sometimes these relationships are a key factor to their success in business. Anyway, I looked up the passage on gift giving in the workplace and it stated that not only do the gifts show respect and appreciation, but they also serve in getting someone to think more kindly of you. It went on to say that that these gifts are commonly given during important Korean holidays and that if you receive such a gift, it is important that you reciprocate. I wonder if Ken knows that. Better check.

Speaking of gifts, I received a few of my own yesterday. I had a morning coffee for the women and wives of the project at our apartment. I had been wanting to do this for some time and finally got around to setting a date and sending invitations. It was nice because not only the wives attended, but the four women that work in the office (one works for the company, the other three were hired to work on site here) were able to come. By the way, look at the beautiful orchid they brought me.
I also received more flowers and fruit. It happened to be a box of grapes and I cleaned and put some out. I then learned something new - they don't eat the skins of the grapes. They put the grape in their mouth and then spit out the skin and seeds. You are left with a plate of grape skins that they say are too sour to eat.

Anyway, I think that the coffee (or tea party, as some called it) was a success. I plan on doing it again sometime. We all are different ages, nationalities and with different backgrounds and interests, but we are all here for the same reason. So if we can make a few more friends along the way, so much the better.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Kim, I will be in Korea in Nov.I think your blog will prepare me for my visit there I loved your pictures also.Thanks Again