Sunday, March 2, 2008

taking pictures at tesco

My husband headed out this morning with some friends to play golf. Since I am still coughing and sniffling, I had a leisurely morning drinking coffee and reading. However, I decided to head over to Tesco for a couple of items we needed. I have found that the best time to go is when it opens (at 10:00) on Saturday and Sunday. Parking is plentiful and you can mull over things a little bit without being pushed aside. I usually keep my camera in my purse for any opportune photo opportunities and today was no exception. It is expected that people will take pictures of tourist attractions, festivals, pretty scenery, etc. But whenever I take pictures of daily life, I worry that I am offending the Koreans in some way. So I try to be very discreet when taking pictures on the street and such. It was very slow when I arrived at Tesco, so I thought that I would take the opportunity to take a few pictures I have wanted to take for some time. I actually think the young lady saw me and thought I was stalking her, but I managed to take a little video of her greeting the cars as they arrived in the parking garage.
Everyone has their own little way of doing it and some are more elaborate than others. She was sort of middle of the road. There are the usual aisles of juice, paper goods, diapers, cereal, etc. Some aisles are more plentiful than others in their options. I guess you could equate a cereal aisle in the states with a ramen noodle aisle here - tons of different varieties. My favorite ones are these - they are quite spicy though. There are some items you might recognize. And there is the Spam of course...! But if you are in the mood for something different, you could purchase a can of this. Or this. There really isn't a frozen food section like we know it. You can't buy the usual frozen vegetables, juice and prepared meals. They do have a small area with ice cream though. I usually pick up a couple of peppers at this area. There is usually different items, such as shrimp (don't get that - I found that the heads are still on!!), calamari, things that look like corn dogs (??) and various vegetables. You use some tongs and pick what you want and the lady either serves you (there is a counter to eat at) or she packages it up for you to take home. We also have a meat area for take home, which I have on numerous times. Or if you wish, you can purchase some mixtures that you can take home and cook yourself, which I haven't. The produce area is pretty good. You can buy alot of the items we have in the U.S. I buy iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, mushrooms, oranges, apples, bananas, potatoes, etc. Some of the items are prepackaged and some you put into a bag yourself and take to a lady at a scale who weighs it and slaps a sticker on it. However, a few items puzzle me. You have to buy a bag of onions and a bunch of bananas. I can hopefully get through the onions before they spoil but I never get through the bananas. They do have alot of vegetables that I don't know what they are. However, I think this is a type of radish that I ate at a restaurant recently. It was pickled and quite good. I will leave you today with something I have wanted to show you for a long time.
I didn't care if anyone saw me, I was going to get this.

2 comments:

Renata said...

I was dying to do the same!!! I will certainly show this to my folks back home!!!

Anonymous said...

These are so cute. I've played them over and over. Everything in the store looks so CLEAN! This was all so interesting.