Friday, February 29, 2008

knitting with the norwegians

I have been a little under the weather this week with a cold. So I have just been staying in most of the time trying to kick it. I did get out on Wednesday afternoon to play mahjong and this morning for painting class. I also made time on Thursday morning for one of my new favorite projects - knitting. I have wanted to learn how to knit for quite a while. I actually have a couple of books on the subject, including "Knitting for Dummies". Whether from impatience, lack of motivation or just plain stupidity I never quite picked up the knack of casting on the stitches (which starts the entire process). I could actually knit, but I just couldn't start the knitting if that makes sense.

When I returned last fall to the U.S., I picked up various craft supplies to bring back, like some embroidery, cross stitch, etc. I also brought back my trusty knitting needles and yarn in hopes of finally learning how to knit. Well lo and behold, when I attended one of the Wednesday morning coffees the first week I was back, I learned that there was now an informal knitting group!!

We meet on Thursday morning for a couple of hours. There are quite a few women from Norway, along with a smattering of British and French ladies. I was the only American until I brought on a couple of other American women that are now just as addicted to it as I am. There seems to be alot of expatriates from Norway and Great Britain here due to the fact that they deal with alot of shipping in their countries, I guess. The shipyard doesn't just deal oil related projects. In fact, the drillships that Ken's company are building are the first ones to be built here.

Back to knitting - I finally grasped casting on thanks to a lady from Wales. I did find out that the Norwegians knit differently. I don't really understand how it is different, but they sure do knit fast. I decided to stick to the standard way since I didn't think that I would always have a Norwegian on hand to help me. Anyway, after much practice, I now have a potholder! (Actually, I have knitted alot more than this but this is the first thing that I have declared a purpose to my knitted piece.)


Now onto a scarf or a blanket - baby-sized, of course.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What beautiful colors. That's what I would like to have for my birthday - a potholder like that ! Or maybe for Mother's Day.

kim said...

I think that can be arranged!!