Monday, May 19, 2008

searching for sea glass

Yesterday afternoon (Sunday), Ken and I felt the need to get out of the house for a bit. It wasn't an absolutely beautiful day, but at least it wasn't raining.
We drove about 20 minutes to Wahyeon Beach. I don't know why we haven't been there sooner. There is a large expanse of sand and it was very clean, as beaches go. There was also the luxury of bathrooms along the seawall. Ken and I sat for awhile watching the waves.


Then we decided to trek along the beach. I am always looking down while walking on the beach - looking for shells and such. I spotted a couple of pieces of sea glass. I explained to Ken that this is glass that is tumbled and smoothed out by the waves and the sand.



Whenever I think of sea glass, I am reminded of the movie "Spanglish". My daughter and I love this movie - perhaps because it involves mother/daughter relationships. In a nutshell, a Hispanic woman that speaks very limited English goes to work for a couple that has a son and a daughter. They rent a beach house for the summer and have the Hispanic woman come with them. However, she has a daughter that they invite to come also. Anyway, one day the husband tells his two children and the other daughter to look for sea glass on the beach for him. He owns a restaurant where he is the chef and he said that he would use the glass to make a platter for fish at his restaurant. He said he would pay a certain amount (I don't remember how much) for each piece of sea glass. His two children soon tire of this project, but the other little girl comes to him one day with a bucket of sea glass. According to his price for each piece of sea glass, it comes to $650! In case you might want to see the movie after this little blurb, I won't reveal what happens.

Back to our sea glass quest. I got Ken pretty involved in the search and we came away with a respectable amount. I have a feeling we will both be on the lookout whenever we go to the beach. I was looking up to see if sea glass was one or two words and read some interesting facts. Green, clear, brown and amber are the most common colors found. However, light blue, yellow and pink can be found also. Grey, purple, black, red and orange are the rarest.


I saw a friend of mine from painting and mahjong spending the afternoon with her two children.

Ken also found a friend.

Or three.

On the way home, I snapped a picture of this sweet lady digging in the sand during low tide for ????? I see this all the time but I don't know exactly what type of sea life they are harvesting. I'll try to find out and let you know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this entry- and immediately when i saw the picture of the glass- I thought of Spanglish too. I love that movie and always think of you when I see it. Miss you Mom and can't wait to see you soon.