Tuesday, May 27, 2008

dunkin donut darling

The sweet lady that cleans my apartment every Tuesday comes at 9:00 a.m. I used to play mahjong on that morning but we changed it to Wednesday afternoon to get a better response. I had someone clean my house when I worked in Texas. But since I am just a homebody, I feel sort of guilty that I have someone to clean. However, the apartment comes with weekly cleaning and Ken especially appreciates it when I am not here. The big thing is that she irons our sheets!! Have I mentioned that before? It is my favorite thing she does.

Anyway, I always feel funny when I am just hanging around the apartment when she is cleaning. Sometimes I work on the computer, but I still feel like I am in the way. This morning, I headed out to town to stroll the streets and maybe stop for coffee. Most of the businesses do not open until 10:00 or so, but the hair salons already had their towels out to dry.
Getting ready for the day. I guess pink is the towel of choice.


I also took some pictures of something that disturbs me here in Korea. I have mentioned in the past about the meticulous garbage collection they have here. But Ken and I have noticed that whenever we are in a public place - like a park or on the street - there are never any public trash cans.
I would really love to know the reason for this. Is there not an agency that can be in charge of this? Thus you see piles of trash heaped in areas of town. And it is nothing to see someone just throw a piece of paper on the ground very nonchalantly. You can walk around Okpo and see nicely kept areas with even flowers
and then in your next few steps you see this....
I think it is such a shame because Korea is such a beautiful country. On the other hand, the shipyard where Ken works is spotless. I haven't been in alot of large industrial areas, but I would think that this takes the cake for cleanliness. Even around our apartment (which is run by the shipyard), there are people sweeping the sidewalks and gutters all the time. Well, I guess I will get off of my soapbox.

I headed to Dunkin Donuts.
I don't know if I have mentioned that we have one. It is similar to the U.S. but they do have some donuts that are green (as in green tea). They also do not make them there - I have seen a van deliver the donuts on occasion. The Korean people seem to have taken to donuts. In some Korean cities, they have Krispy Kreme donuts. You wouldn't believe the lines and the boxes of donuts they are taking home! Anyway, I rounded the corner and there were 2 friends of mine, Brenda and Wendy. So I was able to have some conversation with my coffee. While we were there, the cutest little girl came in for a donut.
Isn't she adorable? Her mother let me take her picture. However, I think she was more interested in the donut than the camera.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I WISH WE COULD GET A KRISY KREME DONUT IN ALBUQUERQUE. THEY ARE ALL OUT OF BUSINESS. KIM , DON"T FEEL BAD ABOUT HAVING THE HOUSEKEEPER. HOW MANY DOUBLE SHIFTS HAVE YOU WORKED IN NURSING? ENJOY THE RIDE. I LOVE YOUR BLOG. THE SMALL CHILD WITH THE DONUT IS DELIGHTFUL. MARYoi