Wednesday, April 11, 2007

the five categories for household trash



It is obvious that the company we are renting from is used to expatriates, especially English speakers. When we moved in, there was a helpful manual of sorts that explained the buttons on various pieces of appliances in our apartment. At least I thought they were helpful, mainly because I read them (unlike others in the household). Anyway, there was one page that stressed me out deluxe when I first got here. It was entitled "Rules for Trash Collection". As you will see below, it was a detailed list of how to recycle your trash while in Korea. They even supplied the bins with English labels on them. I am still trying to figure out how to handle my trash with the least amount of trouble. In fact, while doing this blog I have realized that I have been doing something wrong. So far I haven't been fined for anything, I think in part because sometimes you will see workers going through the trash. At first I thought that it was insulting, but now I realize it is because they are just trying to do it correctly (I guess). I think it is great that they do so much recycling here though since they obviously do not have the room for many landfills here.
See if you too can learn all the nuances of trash collection in Korea. (Double click on the below and hopefully it will come up in a larger size for you to read.)

2 comments:

Offshore Wife said...

This was one of the first things I wrote home about. It was on my "to blog" list as well but I never got around to it. The trash stressed me out too when we first arrived. However, this is HL's job now. We purchased several small trash cans and have them on our porch off of the kitchen. It makes recycling much easier.

kim said...

Just make sure the trash is covered. Someone else here had a rat in that area that got in through the vent!