Saturday, February 2, 2008

computers, camera & communication

I am a few days late in posting this, but since my last post my computer went kaput. Ken took it to the office and had the IT guy working on it all last week and I finally got it back on January 31st. It had to be completely reworked and all my favorite little things were gone but thankfully all of my pictures and music were saved. I am gradually getting it back to my comfort level. And as I mentioned in my last post, the problems with my camera intensified. So I spent all last week depressed and anxiety-ridden (not really, but maybe sort of) without two of my favorite things. It has really made me see how much the computer has helped us feel connected with our families and friends while living here. We didn't have that luxury when we lived in Scotland and France in the early 1990's. I also remember when Ken was out on a drillship for a couple of months at a time in the 1980's and the only way to correspond was on a ham radio once in awhile, and he also could send an email to the office once a week and they would mail it to me!! The families of the soldiers in Iraq have it so much better with emails and cell phones. Just think of the previous wars and the lack of communication then. How hard that must have been on families.

Anyway, I am connected once again and all is right with the world. And I got a new camera! When I was home this fall, I had considered buying another camera but never got around to it. As usual, I couldn't decide what I wanted. I contemplated upgrading from a point and shoot camera to a DSLR. I am writing this like I know what I am talking about, but I actually don't know what DSLR means......I just equate it to a camera that is more technical and thus might take better pictures. I researched a bit and just never bought one. Well, when my camera went beserck I went back to my research. I decided not to get a DSLR camera but did get an upgrade from my other digital camera. My mother had gotten a new camera for her birthday in August (remember her great photos on Flickr ?)and I had used it a few times when I was home and felt quite comfortable with it. So that was decided. Ken had the IT guy at the office (everyone should have an IT guy!) order one. The only problem was that the handbook was in Korean but I downloaded and copied it in English from the computer. I love it - it has great zoom capability and the macro (upclose) is wonderful. Want to see a quick picture (of one of the shelves behind me)?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you've gotten your computer back - and a new picture. I'll be expecting lots of output !